Last month I went on a Sydney Farmgate Tour and the lovely guide shared a few recipes in the handouts. There was a recipe for passionfruit slice and it inspired me to make a vegan, sugar free version.
A while back I found these dairy free tins of soy condensed milk and caramel and have been keen to give them a try. An old school passionfruit slice was the perfect recipe for soy condensed milk. Australian folks can order these from the Cruelty Free Shop and Vegan Online.
I really wasn’t sure how it would turn out and as always, the best test case for baking experiments is my work pals. I’m pretty chuffed to say the slice was a BIG hit, with many going for seconds.. and thirds. Success!
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 100g dairy free butter, melted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 170g passionfruit pulp
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 395ml can soy sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 20x30cm slice tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine coconut sugar, flour, coconut and dairy free butter.
- Spread mixture evenly in the tin and press down evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Combine passionfruit, lemon juice and condensed milk and pour over the slice, using a spatula to spread evenly over the surface.
- Return tin to the oven and bake for a further 5-10 minutes or until the topping has set.
- When completely cooled, cut into rectangles and serve.
Inspired by Nyla Thomas