I love beetroot. It’s fantastic roasted, it’s rad in a salad, a must in a burger and pretty dang good grated for a sandwich. But there’s an un-fun side to playing with beets – it’s hand-stainy and messy.
The Love Beets team have got you sorted with their new vacuum packed baby beetroot. It’s 100% baby beets with no added sugar or salt. They are peeled, cooked and ready to eat so say goodbye to hard work and pink fingers!
Because Love Beets are pre-cooked, they are quite soft so if you’re whizzing them up for a dish (like these awesome cuppies, a smoothie or soup) thankfully they won’t be a strain on your whizzing machine.
The good news is these cuppies are healthy as they are free of sugar and dairy. They are amazingly good – fudgy, dense and mudcakey. If they were any bigger they could be a bit too rich, the consistency is perfect for a little mouthful. Instead of icing, or a simple sprinkling of icing sugar, I popped a dairy free chocolate button on the top of each one.
- 125g (1/2 pack) Love Beets baby beetroot
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bi-carb soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup organic coconut milk
- 200g dairy free chocolate buttons
- Place beetroot, maple syrup and vanilla in blender or food processor and whiz until very smooth.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, bi-carb soda, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre for the liquid.
- Pour in the beetroot mix and coconut milk and stir to combine. Add the coconut oil and chocolate buttons (leave a handful aside) and stir well.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake pattys and fill each one ¾ of the way full with batter. With the remaining chocolate buttons, place one on the top of each cupcake.
- Bake at 175°C for 10-12 minutes. The top should be firm to light touch. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Inspired by The Savvy Sister
Love Beets are available in some supermarkets and green grocers. For loads of other suggestions on how to use them, check out the Love Beets website.
vegeTARAian was sent a 250g pack courtesy of Love Beets for editorial consideration.