The festive season is notorious for being full of excess – parties, rich foods, too many sweets and lots of alcohol. That makes it a time, more than ever, when it’s important to start the day with a healthy, hearty breakfast.
When it comes to a morning meal, I like lots of components, so you get loads of different items and flavours on your plate. Mushrooms, roasted tomato, avocado, hash brown, spinach, toast – I’d have it all if there were enough room in my belly.
There’s no reason egg lovers should have all the fun – I bring you a mighty fine scramble made with tofu and flavoured with turmeric, nutritional yeast and vegetable stock. And on the side, crispy egg-free hash browns. These two parts are good together or separately – you could also add any extra goodies you’d like on your breakfast plate.
Tip: Before you use the tofu, it’s important to press it to drain out any excess liquid, so you don’t end up with a mushy mess.
- ½ red onion
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 300g firm tofu
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 100ml vegetable stock
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- To press the tofu, place in between sheets of kitchen paper and place a heavy plate on top. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the excess liquid to drain.
- Peel and quarter the onion. Add the ultrablade to the bowl and set at speed 11 for 10 seconds.
- Add the oil and set the P1 slow cook program for 7 minutes.
- Pause the program at 4 minutes, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add the remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately.
- 500g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 50g red onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 egg substitute
- 40g plain flour
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Add the ultrablade to the bowl and chop the onion at speed 11 for 10 seconds. Remove the onion from the bowl and set aside.
- Add the potato to the bowl along with 250ml water. Launch the P1 slow cook program for 10 minutes, without the stopper.
- When the program ends, add the flour, egg substitute, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Mix at speed 6 for 20 seconds.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix again at speed 6 for 20 seconds.
- Heat oil in a pan. In batches, add heaped tablespoons of the mixture to the pan and cook, turning occasionally, until crispy and golden.
- If needed, keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve.
Disclaimer: vegeTARAian received a Cuisine Companion courtesy of Tefal.
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter!