For a few years now, one of the things we do as a family over the holidays is see a performance of Shakespeare in the Park. The outdoor shows are set at the beautiful Bella Vista Farm which overlooks the Hills District.
The show starts as the sun goes down and it’s best to get there early and enjoy a homemade pre-show picnic. I made a tasty pesto which is excellent as a dip, it would also be great with pasta and some black olives.
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup baby spinach
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup water (more if needed)
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Soak sun dried tomatoes for 30 minutes in hot water (not boiling). Drain and rinse.
- In a blender add garlic, basil, lemon juice, cashews, spinach, water and sun dried tomatoes. Blend slowly while pouring in extra virgin olive oil until it's combined. Try to leave the consistency a little chunky.
- Stir in a pinch of salt, transfer to a glass jar and it will keep in the fridge for 7 days.
Recipe from The Raw Food Kitchen