Over the festive season I watched an episode of Ina Garten’s show where she visited London. One of the goodies Ina made at home in her kitchen later in the episode, was her simple version of Chelsea buns.
As well as bringing back memories of a city I loved visiting, it was just so darn endearing watching Ina on the tely. She’s so sweet and adorable and seems like she’d be even nicer in person. I think I love her!
Since watching that delicious episode, I’ve been wanting to make a dairy-free version of the simple sticky buns. I’m happy to report that I did so quite successfully!
These messy treats are filled with dairy-free butter, coconut sugar, walnuts, dried cranberries and dairy-free puff pastry. They are a bit messy to make but trust me, the little bites are certainly worth the effort.
Tip: Halve or double the ingredients to suit your required quantity. To help the buns come out of the tray more easily, spray each muffin cup with coconut oil spray or baking spray.
- 12 Tbs dairy-free butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup crushed walnuts
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 Tbs dairy-free butter, melted
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- For the topping, cream the dairy-free butter and coconut sugar in a food processor or electric mixer. Scoop a tablespoon into each muffin cup and top with crushed walnuts.
- Lay one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface and brush with 1 tablespoon of melted dairy-free butter. Leave one edge for sealing.
- Sprinkle the pastry with ⅓ cup of coconut sugar, 1.5 teaspoons of cinnamon and half the dried cranberries.
- Tightly roll the pastry with the seam underneath. To make it neat, trim the ends and slice into 6 equal slices.
- Place each roll, spiral side up, in the muffin tray. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The buns should be dark golden on top and firm to touch.
- Cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto baking paper to finish cooling.
Are you making this at home? I would love to see it! Share a pic with the tag #vegeTARAianmakes so I can check it out. Happy cooking!
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter