With Australia Day nearly here, it’s the perfect time to share with you a kick ass treat and some other easy ideas for your Aussie Day table.
Australia Day is an important day on the calendar for us to celebrate what’s great about being an Aussie. For many the day is about hanging with friends, perhaps a friendly game of back yard cricket, a few cold drinks and the tantalising smell of a BBQ in the air.
When it comes to entertaining, I got you.
First up are these impressive lamington bites. They’re raw, vegan and while they can be a little messy to make when it comes to coating them in melted chocolate, I dare you to only eat one. They taste so naughty but they’re full of good, healthy ingredients.
- 200g raw almonds
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 50g maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 150g dairy-free dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50g desiccated coconut
- Insert the kneading / crushing blade to the bowl. Add the almonds and the steamer basket (this will keep the almonds low in the bowl) and blitz on speed 10 for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and mix on speed 6 for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and blitz for a further 10 seconds.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes - this will make it easier to roll.
- Tightly squish the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and place on a tray. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes and then prepare the chocolate.
- Add the mixer blade to the bowl and the chocolate. Melt at 50˚C on speed 1 for 3 minutes.
- Set up two small bowls with the chocolate and desiccated coconut. Use teaspoons to move the balls from each bowl, ensuring they are fully coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Not sure what else to make for your Aussie Day gathering? Try savoury snacks like breakfast bruschetta, an epic cheese toastie, simple Vegemite and cheese puffs, char-grilled veg burgers on the barbie, mini veg hot dogs for the kids or zucchini fries.
Are you making any of these at home? I would love to see! Share a pic with the tag #vegetaraianmakes so I can check it out. Happy cooking!
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter!