On my recent visit to Thailand, one of the dishes I really enjoyed was a hearty serve of fried rice. Sometimes it was made quite simply with just a few ingredients and other times it was loaded with fresh vegetables.
It's awesome when your first meal of the day is included in your accommodation but often, breakfast buffets have few veg options. I don't want toast and pancakes every day – I want to eat the local cuisine! On my first morning here in Koh Samui, I asked the staff which dishes were veg. They swiftly had the chef make me a serve of fried rice, loaded with vegetables. From that morning on the host has remembered me, letting the kitchen know as soon as I arrive so they can cook me breakfast. Great service like this makes me glad I paid a bit extra for a nice hotel. What nice touches of good service do you appreciate when traveling?
On my travels I went three cooking classes in different parts of the country, learning how to make veg versions of popular Thai dishes. Since coming home, I’ve been playing in the kitchen to perfect my own fried rice recipe. The tasty result has me thinking I was back in Thailand. Almost.
I like the addition of pineapple which gives the dish a sweet and savoury combo, and including goodies like toasted cashews and fried shallots also adds a lovely crunch.
This is basically a mammoth serve of vegies with rice – what’s not to love about that?
Tip: Get creative and add your favourite veg! It cooks very quickly so the trick is to be completely prepared beforehand – make sure all your vegetables are chopped and ready to go before you turn the heat on. You’ll spend more time chopping than you will cooking!
- 4 Tbs vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice, cold
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 230g broccoli florets, halved
- 230g cauliflower florets, halved
- 100g baby corn, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 100g pineapple chunks
- 2 bunches spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ cup cashews, toasted
- 3 tsp white sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 2 Tbs light soy sauce
- White pepper
- Lime wedges
- Fried shallots
- In a small bowl, mix together the seasoning ingredients. Stir the seasoning through the rice and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat a wok on moderate heat and add the oil. Cook the garlic until browned and fragrant.
- Add the rice, vegetables, pineapple and cashews. Stir quickly until combined and cooked.
- To serve sprinkle with white pepper and fried shallots, and a wedge of lime.
Are you making this at home? I would love to see it! Share a pic with the tag #vegeTARAianmakes so I can check it out. Happy cooking!
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Subscribe to the weekly newsletter