Let’s face it folks, I need to step it up with my food pics. There’s nothing flashy about the photos I take and I don’t do much to style my shots. I could certainly do with some tips to make my snaps more appealing.
The good folks at Bupa invited me to a food styling and videography session in Melbourne and oh boy, it’s a-ma-zing how much difference a good background, fancy crockery and a coloured tea towel can make.
Chef, food stylist and down to earth bloke Jamie Humby shared some of styling experience like how to fill up the background, lighting (super important) and where to place ingredients. The good news is that messy plating is in and I’ve got that bit down! I think with a little practice and the right goodies, I might just get this fancy photo thing sorted.
Note to self: buy more props.
During the workshop I was not expecting to have to cook a dish AND have it judged. Yikes! You can forget the idea of me ever going in a television cook-off thing – competition pressure is intense and it ain’t for me.
To keep it simple (and because I was just plain hungry) I made myself something to eat. I went with a dish I’ve made loads of times and can never get enough of – mushrooms on toast. It’s basically my favourite meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
If I ever get told I can’t eat mushrooms anymore, I’d be in real trouble.
I cooked up the mushrooms with garlic, chilli and parsley and served it on toast, topped with crumbled feta and avocado on the side. I then used one of Jamie’s beautiful plates and a tea towel and BOOM – my dish looked like something you might see in a magazine (maybe).
Tip: I love flat mushrooms but you could also use button, portobello or any other ‘shroom you’re into. Leave the chilli out if you’re not into the hot stuff. Squeeze some lime juice on the avocado as soon as you cut it so it doesn’t go brown.
- 3 large flat mushrooms, cut into strips
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Chilli flakes
- 2 slices of sourdough bread, thickly sliced
- Feta, crumbled
- Parsley leaves, torn
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 lime wedges
- Ground black pepper
- Heat a non-stick fry pan on medium heat and add a good glug of oil.
- Add the garlic and cook until browned, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and, stirring occasionally, cook for a few minutes until they shrink down and are cooked through.
- Pop your bread in the toaster. Into the pan sprinkle some chilli flakes, chopped parsley and stir through. Remove from the heat.
- Drizzle a little oil on the toast and top with the mushrooms. Crumble feta on top and add a little pepper to taste. Finish with a few leaves of parsley.
- Serve with lime wedges and sliced avocado.
Are you making this at home? I would love to see it! Share a pic with the tag #vegeTARAianmakes so I can check it out. Happy cooking!
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Subscribe to the weekly newsletter