I recently shared a vegetarian cooking class I went to at Casa Barilla. One of the dishes we made was a simple pasta with green vegetables and cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper) sauce. It was such a light and lovely meal, I wanted to try it at home…without the cheese.
I discovered a healthy vegan cashew parmesan, filled with goodies including cashews, nutritional yeast, sunflower seeds, kale and lemon peel. It’s a very tasty dairy-free alternative to parmesan cheese, and it works really well in this pasta dish.
You could play around with the ingredients for this – asparagus, broccolini and green peas would also work well. You could also add cherry tomatoes if you want to give it more colour.
This doesn’t take long to make so you could easily whip it up on a busy weeknight. I love the addition of a zucchini puree – it makes the dish just that little bit fancy.
Tip: Instead of adding garlic, I used a garlic infused extra virgin olive oil (you can buy this or make it at home). You can be light handed with the pepper if you’re not a huge fan, or you can add loads and really go for that strong peppery hit.
- 200g Barilla spaghettoni
- Garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green zucchini
- 50g green beans
- 3 Tbs cashew parmesan
- Dairy-free butter
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Trim the beans and cut into 3cm pieces, sliced lengthways. Cut the zucchini into matchsticks.
- To make the zucchini puree, bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add half the zucchini. Cook for 1-2 minutes then drain. Blend with a drizzle of garlic infused oil and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add the pasta. After 8 minutes, add the zucchini and green beans. Cook for 2 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Heat a glug of garlic infused olive oil in a pan. Add freshly ground black pepper, cashew parmesan and a knob of dairy-free butter. Stir to heat through.
- Drain the pasta and vegetables and add to the pan. Mix thoroughly (add a little pasta water if needed).
- To serve, spoon some of the zucchini puree onto the plate then top with the pasta. Drizzle with extra oil and more black pepper.
Are you making this at home? Share a pic with the tag #vegeTARAianmakes so I can check it out. Happy cooking!
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter