You know when you throw something together for dinner, not entirely sure that it will work and you end up utterly amazing yourself with how fabulous it is? THIS WAS THAT TIME. I totally outdid myself and had to share it with you.
I had been wanting to grow fresh herbs for the longest time and felt quite lucky recently when I won a Poppin Pods shell with fresh mint, rosemary and chives. These kits are really handy as the herbs are already grown so you don’t need to wait to use them. The pots also have little wells in the bottom so the water doesn’t spill out and make a mess on your bench or windowsill. I’ve put my herbs into this gorgeous indoor greenhouse from Ikea – doesn’t it look great!
My pot of chives was growing like crazy so I decided to whip up a chive and almond pesto. I love how versatile pesto is – it’s so quick to make and you can enjoy it as a dip with crackers, mixed through cooked pasta (hot or cold) or use as the base sauce for a pizza. SO MANY OPTIONS!
Want more pesto love? Check out these other tasty combos:
I like a thin and crispy pizza base and bought pre-made ones from the supermarket. You could also try something light like Lebanese bread. If you’ve got the time and skill, get messy and whip up a pizza base up from scratch.
Trust me, this pizza is amazingly good. I’m just sad that I don’t have enough fresh chives to make another batch because I want this pizza again!
- ½ cup fresh chives
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- Garlic salt
- Basil flavoured olive oil
- 1 pizza base
- 1 large flat mushroom, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Add chives, almonds, garlic salt and olive oil to a food processor.
- Pulse until you get the desired consistency (I like it a little chunky).
- Spread the pesto liberally over the pizza base and sprinkle parmesan on top.
- Cover with mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and top with mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter!