One of my favourite old school treats is a classic jam and coconut slice. I have fond memories of Ma making it when I was young and I love seeing different versions of it in bakeries.
There’s no doubt about it, this is a lovely treat to enjoy with a cup of tea. It’s really easy to make and looks so pretty. This slice has a dense base, the jam layer is chewy and the toasted coconut adds a little crunch. And it’s even better with a batch of homemade jam.
Tip: Berry jams (raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, mixed berry) work really well. If berries aren’t your thing, you could try marmalade, plum or apricot jam.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup white sugar
- 140g dairy-free butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup jam, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C and grease a square tin with coconut oil spray.
- Thoroughly mix the base ingredients together and spread the mixture into the greased tin
- Flatten the base evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned, then set aside to cool.
- Spread the jam on top of the base then cover evenly with shredded coconut.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the coconut is toasted and lightly browned.
- Allow to cool then cut into squares and serve.
Insert the kneading blade into the bowl, add the base ingredients and set to speed 5 for 20 seconds.
Are you making this at home? Share a pic with the tag #vegetaraianmakes so I can check it out. Happy cooking!
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter