I’m a big fan of PB, I have been ever since I was a kid. I love watching it squeeze out from the edges of a crispbread sandwich, adding a generous spoonful to my breakfast smoothie, seeing it melt and drip down into the holes of a freshly toasted crumpet and I especially dig it slathered onto fresh bread, topped with raspberry jam.
I wanted to try making my own peanut butter so I combined it with my obsession for cinnamon. It’s a cinch to make and if you pretty it up like in this cutie cute owl jar, it will make an awesome gift (my friends young daughters LOVED it!)
Tip: You could shortcut this by using pre-roasted peanuts but I found it quite therapeutic to roast them (your home will smell amazing) and then plonk on the couch in front of a movie while popping the skins off, one at a time.
Here’s a few simple and tasty ways you can use your healthy homemade spread:
- Peanut butter cookies with dark chocolate chunks
- Puffed quinoa and peanut butter balls
- Creamy banana smoothie
- Peanut butter and jam cookies
- Naughty peanut butter balls
- Banana, choc and PB ice cream blocks
- Fudge bean brownies
- 750g raw peanuts
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp peanut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Lay the raw peanuts out onto a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through.
- Allow the peanuts to cool then remove the skin from each nut.
- Insert the kneading / crushing blade and add the roasted peanuts to the bowl.
- Chop at speed 12 for 20 seconds. For a chunky mix, scoop out a cup of chopped peanuts and set aside.
- Chop at speed 12 for 40 seconds. Scrape the inside of bowl with a spatula.
- Add the oil, cinnamon and salt and mix at speed 12 for 1 minute. Scrape the inside of bowl with a spatula.
- Add the remaining chopped peanuts and set at speed 12 for a further 30 seconds.
Are you making this at home? I would love to see it! Share a pic with the tag #vegetaraianmakes so I can check it out. Happy cooking!