During a discussion with Ma and my sister about some of the derivatives of sugar (golden syrup, treacle and molasses) Amy reminded us about a treat that Ma had made us as kids – golden syrup dumplings.
So at our request, Ma made a vegan version for us. They were just as tasty, fluffy and FILLING as I remember and a must with a big blob of ice cream.
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 100g dairy-free butter
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ¾ cups soy milk
- Combine water, brown sugar, golden syrup (set aside 1 Tbs) and half the butter in a large saucepan. Stir over a low heat until melted.
- Meanwhile, use your fingertips to rub the remaining half of the butter into the flour. Combine milk and 1 Tbs golden syrup. Stir into the flour mixture until well combined.
- Bring the sauce to the boil then drop heaped dessert spoonfuls of mixture into the sauce. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve with soy ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Taste.com.au