In an attempt to make something reminiscent of the 70s, these pretty treats were made the same time as the Mini Peppermint Crisp pies.
I love the burst of citrus in these tarts and the glaze makes them look really special.
Variations: I used Nuttelex instead of margarine and dairy free cream cheese.
Glazed strawberry tarts
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs egg free custard powder
250g cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 Tbs Grand Marnier liquer
1 Tbs cream
1 punnet strawberries
1/2 cup apricot spread
1 Tbs water
- Pastry: Rub the margarine into sifted flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Combine remaining ingredients, blend into flour with a spatula or knife.
- Turn onto well-floured board. Knead lightly, wrap in greaseproof paper and chill for 30mins.
- Roll pastry out on a lightly-floured board. Divide into 4 x 12 inch flan rings. Prick well and chill until firm.
- Bake at 180deg for about 20mins. Allow to cool.
- Filling: Halve strawberries and set aside. Cream remaining ingredients together well and chill.
- Glaze: In a small saucepan, heat all ingredients gently and stir until smooth. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Fill tart cases with cream cheese filling, top with strawberries. Spoon over glaze and chill.
Adapted from the 1970 reprint of ‘The Margaret Fulton Cookbook’