While lunching with a friend recently I ordered an indulgent Nutella scroll for an afternoon treat. What seemed like a good idea at the time, turned out to be a bad move as it was far too rich for my liking. Thankfully I’ve got a little something that serves as a far better replacement.
If you’re efficient, you could have these dairy-free snacks served in around half an hour. There’s no kneading required (hooray!) and only they take 10-15 to bake.
I used a glorious Gewürzhaus chocolate spice that I picked up on a visit to Melbourne (thankfully they have a Sydney store now, too). It contains goodies like Dutch cocoa, cinnamon and nutmeg and it smells like Christmas!
When I first made scrolls I baked them in one tray but thanks to the internet and its plethora of suggestions, I think the scrolls turn out much nicer when separated in a muffin tray. The trick is to be super generous with the icing so it dribbles down into the middle of the scroll.
Tip: These photos show two versions – one heavy on chocolate, the other with more pistachios – it’s up to you which way you go. For an extra chocolately version, add some dairy-free choc chips before rolling and sprinkle some chocolate spice on top of the scrolls before icing.
- 250ml warm water
- 10g dry yeast
- 400g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs chocolate spice
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 50g pistachios, roughly chopped
- Icing sugar, sifted
- Water or lemon juice
- To chop the pistachios, insert the ultrablade and whiz at speed 12 for 15 seconds. Clean the bowl and return it to the machine.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C and spray a muffin tray with baking spray.
- Insert the kneading blade to the bowl. Add the water and yeast and set the P1 pastry program (2 minutes and 30 seconds).
- Pause the program at 30 seconds and add the flour, salt, olive oil and chocolate spice. Resume the program.
- When complete, roll out the dough to a half centimetre thick square. Spread dairy-free butter over the dough and cover with sugar pistachios, setting some pistachios aside for serving.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut into 3cm thick scrolls. Place the scrolls in the muffin tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the icing, to a mixing bowl add sifted icing sugar and add a teaspoon of water at a time, mixing in between, into a slightly runny consistency.
- Place the baked scrolls on a plate and generously drizzle with icing. Top with the remaining pistachios and serve warm.
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter!