Oops sorry folks, this one is a bit late.. So here it is, the very last of the Japanese Cooking with Ma day. These three vego friendly salads were really light and a great addition as they didn’t overpower our star dishes.
Edamame with soy, chilli and ginger
450g packet frozen edamame (unpodded)
½ long red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp finely grated ginger
¼ cup shoyu
2 Tbs mirin
- Cook frozen edamame in a large pan of boiling water for 3mins then drain.
- To serve: Place pods in a bowl, toss well with remaining ingredients.
Tofu with sesame dressing
300g soft / silken tofu
100g mixed Asian salad greens
150g toasted sesame seeds
80g castor sugar
4 Tbs sesame sauce (above)
1-2 Tbs rice vinegar
1-2 Tbs finely chopped leeks, washed and dried
1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- Sesame sauce: grind 100g of the toasted sesame seeds in a mortar until sticky.
- Add the shoyu and sugar and mix. Add the remaining sesame seeds and mix to a smooth paste
- Drain the tofu. Cut in half horizontally then into four and drain.
- Sesame dressing: put the sesame sauce in a bowl, add the rice vinegar and mix, then add the leeks and ginger.
- To serve: Place tofu on a plate, pour over the sesame dressing and top with salad greens.
Vegetable salad with miso dressing
100g green beans
Shichimi togarashi or chilli pepper to taste
400g awase miso
80g castor sugar
- Miso dressing: combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Boil then turn the heat to low and cook for around 20mins stirring regularly to ensure it does not burn. Remove, cool and chill. (Will keep refrigerated for 2-3 weeks)
- Salad: prepare beans and cut each on the diagonal. Chop cauliflower into small florets and broccoli into small pieces.
- Boil water in a large saucepan, add broccoli, cauliflower and beans and blanch – vegies should remain crispy. Rinse under cold running water and drain.
- To serve: Lightly dry the vegies and place in a bowl, dress with 3 tablespoons of miso dressing and sprinkle with shichimi togarashi to taste.