One of the fun things about having a food blog is learning about and trying products you may not have otherwise heard of. The good folks at Spiral Foods sent me a jar of organic coconut sweet spread to play with and I racked my brain trying to work out what to make.
The spread looks a bit like caramel, has a wonderful smell of sweet coconut and a toffee-like flavour. At first I’m amazed that there is no added sugar – the ingredients are simply organic coconut, extra virgin coconut oil and organic coconut nectar – and then I remember that coconut sugar (which I love to use) is just the same, and a great alternative to cane sugar.
I found a recipe in Woman’s Day magazine lying around the office and substituted caramel with the coconut sweet spread. The coconut sweet spread will melt if heated so once you’ve made these little treats, keep them in the fridge until serving.
The good news is that these are not only easy, they are VERY tasty. I took them to work and was told they taste like chocolate crackles. I’ll take that as a compliment!
- 250g chocolate ripple biscuits
- 280g organic coconut sweet spread
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- Extra desiccated coconut for coating
- Crumble the biscuits into a large mixing bowl, leave a few small chunks if preferred.
- Add the organic coconut sweet spread, desiccated coconut and mix well to combine.
- Roll spoonfuls of mixture into walnut-sized balls and roll in coconut.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
vegeTARAian was sent a jar of organic coconut sweet spread by Spiral Foods.