It’s been exceptionally cold here over the past couple of weeks, even snowing in areas that don’t normally see a white winter. The frosty weather has meant that all the scarves, beanies, gloves and hot water bottles are getting a good work out.
I find that a hot dessert is one of the best ways to warm up on the inside. This oozy treat is a real winner (it’s hard to stop at just one bowl) and would make a great dessert when you’ve got friends over for dinner. I’ve adapted it from one of my favourite cookbooks, Suzy Spoon’s Vegetarian Kitchen.
I’ve made this a few times – with coconut milk and coconut sugar and also with soy milk and brown sugar. It works well both ways so you can use whatever dairy-free milk and sweetener you’ve got at home. Suzy uses strawberry jam and cocoa in her version – I prefer raspberry jam (my favourite) and cacao powder which isn’t as sweet.
- 60g dairy-free butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs raspberry jam
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- ⅓ cup cacao, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk
- 3 Tbs cacao
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease an oven-proof baking dish and line a tray with baking paper.
- Insert the kneading blade to the bowl. Add the dairy-free butter and sugar and set the pastry P1 program for 2 minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add the jam. Set at speed 5 for 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula then add the flour, cacao and salt. Set at speed 5 for 30 seconds, slowly adding the milk. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix for a further 30 seconds. Pour the mixture evenly into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and cacao evenly over the top of the pudding. Cover the pudding with boiling water, using the back of a spoon to spread the water on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The sauce may bubble up the sides of the baking dish.
- To serve, dust with cacao or icing sugar and dairy-free ice cream.
Friends, what’s your favourite winter warmer?
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter!