Lately I’ve been doing a little exploring into the world of raw food. First off it was an introduction workshop, on the weekend it was a raw chocolate class.
The lovely Rebecca Weller from Vegan Sparkles was visiting Sydney to host a 2 hour workshop on making raw chocolate with cacao. I was curious to learn how to make a ‘healthy’ sweet treat with no dairy and no sugar.
The class was divided into groups to make batches of chocolate. Surprisingly it was quite easy and didn’t take long at all. You can also find the ingredients in most health food stores.
Once set, some of the chocolates were a little gooey on the bottom where the agave hadn’t combined so maybe we needed to mix it a bit better. I’d like to try using organic coconut sweet spread instead of coconut oil and see how that works. They also melt quite easily – as soon as you touch one it leaves a mark on your skin so you need to eat them quickly once they are out of the fridge.
The fun part is flavouring! Ingredients we were given included desiccated coconut, goji berries, cinnamon, chilli flakes and peanuts. This is where you get to go crazy and add the flavours you like best. I may have gone a little overboard with the chilli distribution – whoops.
- ½ cup finely chopped raw cacao butter
- 1 Tbs organic coconut oil
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 3-4 Tbs organic agave / maple syrup / coconut nectar
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla essence
- Pinch sea salt
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, gently heat cacao butter and coconut oil until just melted.
- Remove from heat immediately and stir in all other ingredients until well combined.
- Pour into patty pans and add your favourite flavourings.
- Refrigerate until set.