Over the past couple of months I’ve had fortnightly fruit and veg boxes from Aussie Farmers Direct delivered. A box of goodies is waiting at my gate every second Wednesday when I get home from work. As well as being convenient, the contents are always a surprise and it forces me to get creative in the kitchen and use the fresh ingredients to try different recipes.
On the cover of the free August Coles magazine was a gorgeous Carrot Galette which I’d been wanting to try. So when a recent delivery contained a fresh bunch of baby carrots, I knew exactly what to do with them!
I changed the recipe slightly to use what I already had and it worked really well. A lovely light bite, great in the warmer weather with a side salad. Another quick and easy weeknight dish!
1 bunch of Dutch carrots
Olive oil spray
2 sheets of frozen puff pastry (thawed)
300g fresh ricotta
1 lemon grated zest
2 Tbs flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Scrub carrots and cut off stems. Cut in half, lengthways.
- Arrange the carrots on the tray and spray lightly with oil. Roast for 10-15mins, until just tender. Allow to cool.
- To create a border on the pastry, score a line around the edge of the sheet, about 2cm from the edge. Prick the area inside all over with a fork.
- Combine ricotta, lemon zest and parsley in a bowl, season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the pastry, within the border. Arrange the carrots over the ricotta mixture.
- Cook for 20-25mins, until pastry is crisp and golden. Serve warm.
Adapted from the Coles magazine, August 2012.