Ma always had a pantry stocked with baking ingredients so occasionally after school, my sister and I would make a chocolate coconut slice. It was delicious and really easy to make.
I asked Ma if she had the recipe and to my surprise, she still had the cook book! So of course I had to borrow it so I could take a trip down memory lane and make the slice. It’s amazing how a smell can bring back a flood of memories that you hadn’t thought of for years.
You really can’t go wrong with this slice and it doesn’t take long to make. I’m guessing it would be a big hit with kids as it certainly was for me!
Chocolate coconut slice
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 tbs cocoa
185g melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbs cocoa
30g melted butter
1 1/2 tbs hot water
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients, add melted butter and vanilla and mix well.
- Press the mixture over the base of a greased lamington tin.
- Bake for 20mins and cool in tin.
- When base is cold, ice and sprinkle with coconut. Cut into bars when the icing has set.
- Icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa, add melted butter and water. Mix until the icing is smooth and glossy.