This post is sponsored by Barbeques Galore
Good news folks, Spring is here! Now we can quit hibernating, stash those bulky winter clothes in the back of the cupboard and organise sunshiney catch ups with friends.
With the warmer weather on our doorstep, it’s a great time to grab a barbeque and do a little outdoor entertaining. When it comes to planning the menu, I’m sure meatasaurus friends think of steaks and sausages but the truth is, outdoor eating can be WAY more veg friendly than that.
A backyard barbie makes me think of foil wrapped potatoes with butter and chives, juicy grilled mushrooms, chargrilled cobs of corn in the husk, vegetable skewers and soft caramelised onions. My favourite is a really simple veg burger, that even the meatasauruses will dig.
This grilled veg burger with eggplant, zucchini, sweet potato and haloumi is amazingly good, true story. And there’s no need to get fancy – a little flavoured oil and seasoning is all you need to do with the veg. I topped the burgers with a homemade vegan mayo – they’d also be ace with this almond and soy sauce. Feeding vegans? Simples, just leave out the haloumi.
BBQ tip: When cooking haloumi, put a sheet of baking paper over the grill and place the haloumi on top. The cheese will still get those lovely grill marks and it will eliminate a sticky mess on the hotplate.
- 2 medium eggplant, cut lengthways
- 5 small zucchini, cut lengthways
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced
- 250g haloumi, sliced
- Garlic infused olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Italian bread rolls, halved and toasted
- 300g silken tofu
- 2 Tbs seeded mustard
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Set the grill to medium heat. When heated, drizzle the grill with olive oil, lay the sliced veg out and season with salt and pepper and cook in batches.
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes. Time will vary depending on the thickness of your veg slices.
- Lay the grilled veg on the toasted rolls, top with vegan mayo and serve immediately.
- Blitz tofu, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and basil until smooth.
- Slowly add the oil and blitz until combined and the sauce is creamy.
Disclaimer: vegeTARAian received compensation in exchange for writing this post. Although this post is sponsored, all opinions are my own.
Want a dose of vegeTARAian in your inbox?
Click here to subscribe to the weekly newsletter!